Wednesday, November 14, 2007

T Minus Four Days....

The final few days at home are upon me. It's Wednesday. I report for duty on Monday morning after hopping a flight from Bakersfield to San Francisco. Five more nights in my own bed. That's it for the next 400+ days. Then begins the long journey to Afghanistan.

Steph and I got back from out quick little vacation late last night. Two days in Vegas where we we had a suite at the MGM Grand. My brother-in-law Don hooked us up on that one. Brian and I met Steph in Vegas on Saturday night after he and I attended a great, but short, 2 day M-16 rifle course at Front Sight Firearms Training Institute in Pahrump, NV. Sunday, the three of us saw Cirque de Solei's "O" at the Bellagio- a breathtaking show.

Monday, Steph and I stayed at the lodge in Zion National Park, then spent Tuesday exploring Zion and Bryce National Parks, with a brief stop at Cedar Breaks National Monument on the way home. We left Bryce mid-afternoon, and drove all the way back to Bakersfield. We could have gotten a hotel, but I wanted one more night in my own bed, at home with my wife, even if we would be exhausted.

And now, it's down to last minute details- documents, reservations, phone calls. E-mails to the guy in Afghanistan who I will be replacing. Mostly me asking him the key questions: Where will I be? What will I be doing? What's it like out there? And I get the inevitable response: I'm really busy right now, but I'll get back to you in a few days. Aargh. Understandable, I suppose.

Right now my thoughts are mainly with my new wife. Will she be OK while I'm away? Am I forgetting to make any arrangements before I go? She assures me she's going to be fine. But it's hard not to worry.

3 comments:

Sulliva- Rosasco-Zwengs! said...

Alex, it's your long lost sister, Lea. I'm in Michigan and your mom just showed me your blog. What??? Afghanistan?? Dude, that is so hard core. Stay in touch: leamcdermid@gmail.com, and be careful! (Sorry, that's about as lame a comment as i can think of anyone saying).

Diane Gillon said...

Alex, It was GREAT to have you here for Thanksgiving...Now our Christmas card is complete. Wait until you see it! I guess you will get it in Kansas (as soon as we have the address).

Hope you are not too bored in San Diego. Maybe you will have time to catch up with your relatives.
Love You,
Diane and David

Anonymous said...

Hey guy... We all miss you already. Tomorrow you will be leaving for your 88 hour trip to your new home. We are trying to get the computer hooked up today to see your "lovely" face when we talk to you. Here's hoping the time goes by quickly and you feel as if you have really accomplished something for our great country.
I hope you get to vote on base. I think those in action should actually have a weighted vote in our elections.

You will be here every week to chase the "bears" away.
Love you, Diane and David